Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sepia Saturday: Tea time in the garden


The delightful theme photo for Sepia Saturday this week is of two sisters playing with blocks on a wicker table in the garden. It dates to about 1884.

My photos don't date from 1884, and neither are they sisters. My husband's aunt, Joy Phelan, and her friend, Norma Stewart, lived in the little town of Mitiamo in northern Victoria. It looks like they were enjoying a teaparty in the garden on a summery day. Or probably not, because that looks like real crockery to me, so maybe their mothers were having a cuppa and a chat. I hope they remembered to give the cute girls a treat. They both look so neat and clean, their hair neatly tied back in a bow and their socks folded down tidily. Could they have just been to church?

Joy Phelan and Norma Stewart, c1936
Joy Phelan and Norma Stewart

11 comments:

  1. Indeed, they do look quite tidy.
    You may be right,
    as they seemed on their best behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet photos, but those two look like they were about to get up to something mischievous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The girls look enough alike to be sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pair of sweeties. I have a full size autotray exactly the same design in a darker stained wood, made by Tom Tansey for his daughter c 1929. If ever I can rescue it from all the things stored on it I must take a photo of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They looks so sweet. I'd like to think their friendship lasted for many decades.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What cute little girls. The tea of coffee cart (whichever it is) brought back memories. I used to love it when my Grandma Louise came to visit because when she & Mom sat in the kitchen having coffee, I got to sit with them with a cup of café au lait & sugar cubes (Grandma used the cubes instead of granulated sugar) & listen to her wonderful, funny stories (she told the best stories about her life)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wondered how the mums kept the clothes so white so far out in the country - it was always so dusty in the Wimmera-Mallee - and such red dust too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To church or a birthday party of visit to a relative’s house. In any case these are really appealing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every weekend i used to visit this site, for the reason that i
    wish for enjoyment, as this this website conations genuinely nice funny material too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thankyou for your interest.

Lorraine

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...