Saturday, May 3, 2014

Sepia Saturday: Silly poses


Silly poses? We can do that.

The photo below is one of the Genealogical Society of Victoria's collection on Flickr. We don't know who the girls are or even where they are but we think it's Victoria, possibly Melbourne. And in the context of other photos in the album it was taken in about 1930. Sepia doesn't given us an indication of colour but I imagine the costumes were very colourful. They have a harlequin look with sailor-like hats. A dance troupe or a one-off entertainment?


Source unknown.
The photo was on a blog but only has the caption 'prohibition'
so I imagine it was taken in America.
The dancer second from the right shows real style.
Another silly pose. One from my own collection of found photos.
Yet another silly pose. (GSV's Flickr page)
'Mr Paxton', by an unknown Melbourne photographer.
Usually I post family photos I can wrap with a family story, but his week I've broken my own rule for Sepia Saturday (the group without rules) and tapped into some other resources.

I suggest you dance on over to Sepia Saturday to see what others have made of the theme this week.

20 comments:

  1. We don't seem to get dressed up and be silly as much as our parents' generation did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet those young ladies thought they were the ant's pants! or is it the bees knees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Paxton wins! What great fun this was, I have to go back and see them all again! I wonder if it was a bit cold on those ice blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dancer on the far right in the second picture apparently doesn't know her left from her right. But oh well. All fun photos & sometimes it's good to break rules - even if they ARE your own. :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. That second photo is an absolute beauty isn't it? I didn't realise until I looked at it closer that they are dancing/posing on huge blocks of ice. Love it. Good for you for breaking the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the harlequin pants and Mr. Paxton is very special!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Mr. Paxton! What a fun bunch of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking the same thing as Jackie. There seems to have been a frolicking good fun that extended beyond childhood that is missing now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad those swimming costumes went out of fashion. They are not exactly flattering, or am I judging them by modern ideas and in their day people thought those young ladies posed on blocks of ice were the bees knees !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrific choices and extra points for getting the same number of girls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun photos. Do we take ourselves too seriously, are we too busy, or has our sense of fun changed that people aren't involved in activities like the ones you've shown? They all look like they're enjoying themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those ladies bring a whole new meaning to 'dancing on ice'! Thanks for this collection of sepia sillies to make us smile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Little Nell, I was thinking more along the line of "Prohibition on Ice". After a namesake show "Holiday on Ice".

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Era's To Early But.....in the 2nd photo...They Look To Be Doing THE TWIST!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband is ALWAYS doing silly poses but I did try to stick to black and white.
    Mr Paxton has pretty good legs!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The second photo looks like ice dancing--but not the kind that's in the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fine set of photographs! I liked the first two best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dancing on chunks of ice. how bizzarre. I can imagine I'd be slip sliding away.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The third looks like a heavier Charlie Chaplin in bare feet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I applaud Mr Paxton for standing on pointed toes like this.
    You've certainly gathered interesting pics.
    Prohibition girls dancing on ice?!?
    Who knew!?!
    :D

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thankyou for your interest.

Lorraine

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...