Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Trove Tuesday: In which George Taylor is crushed

George Taylor and his sisters Alice and May
It makes me sad to look at photos like the one above because I know what their futures were. George, Alice and May are siblings of my grandmother Dolly. Alice and May lived to old age but George died when he was 23 years old.

George was a country lad, and in 1934 he went to Melbourne to work. He was working as a motor mechanic at O'Gilpin's in East Malvern when he was crushed by a truck against a wall. He had cranked the truck while it was still in gear.

I have found his death reported in two papers, and a report of his inquest a week or so later. All are quite short but vary in in accuracy and detail so I think there's a lesson there. Make sure you look at all published reports, not just the first one you find.

Sunshine Advocate, 6 Jul 1934
The Argus, 4 Jul 1934
The Argus, 12 Jul 1934

George TAYLOR, son of Henry TAYLOR and Martha BROWN was born on 20 Jun 1911 in Camperdown, Victoria, Australia. He died on 03 Jul 1934 in Footscray, Victoria, Australia. 

2 comments:

  1. How awfully sad :( I feel the same when when I see photographs of my Gran's brother Jack. He died in a motorcycle accident in 1929 when he was just 19. I should put a tribute post to him on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids back then had older faces than today didn't they?
    Life was tougher for most of them I think.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thankyou for your interest.

Lorraine

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...