Saturday, July 4, 2015

Sepia Saturday: The catch

The catch
This photo fascinates me. I look at the hat sitting on the fencepost, I look at how far apart the couple are standing, I look at how thin people used to be, I look at the string of pearls around the lady's neck, I wonder about the circumstances of the photo.
I don't know who took the photo or who the subjects are because it is in an album that was donated to the Genealogical Society of Victoria. I think I can safely say that it is Australian, probably Victoria and probably in the 1920s.

We don't have many fish or fishing photos in our family albums even though it's an activity that a number of relatives enjoy. None of our recent ancestors were professional fishermen. There are one or two photos of fish being held aloft like the photo above but the one I'll publish here is of brothers Neil and Doug Phelan with their children at Port Fairy where Doug was a teacher. The fish were caught in the Moyne River from a small wooden boat with an outboard motor. Doug was, and still is, an avid fisherman. A fishing expedition on the coast was a grand adventure for a lad from inland Victoria - my husband doesn't remember this particular day but he does remember that he enjoyed Uncle Doug's boat and boating.

Fish caught at Port Fairy about 1956.
Port Fairy is a delightful small town on the south coast of Victoria, a very popular spot. The residents are proud of its history and run several world-class music festivals each year. And it's still a great spot to catch a fish or watch others trying to catch a fish. Or grab a feed of fish and chips to eat beside the river.

Moyne river, Port Fairy c2013.


This post is in response to the Sepia Saturday's theme photo of a fish drawing in the Smithsonian Museum. 


17 comments:

  1. Port Fairy looks like a lovely peaceful place. 'Little Miss Muffet' looks a bit uncertain about all those fish hanging in front of her, but it's a cute picture. That first photo, however, is really interesting. You do have to wonder why the two were standing so far apart and who caught the fish? I'd guess not the one in pearls! The hat on the fence post is likely the result of the photographer's suggestion to shuck it for the photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first photo fascinates me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two absolutely magnificent photos. Don't you just love the colour of slides? So rich - so of the time. Thanks for sharing. That first photo really is a treat and worthy of a story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite the superficial similarities of your first and second images, they really are worlds apart in atmosphere, aren't they. I, too, could ponder on the circumstances surrounding that first photograph for quite a long time, if I didn't have several more SS posts to read.

    Judging by the rich colours of the second photo, I'm guessing it could be a Kodachrome slide or Kodacolor print?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a Kodachrome slide. I'm pleased with the quality of the scans.The Agfa ones have a blue tint and some have faded but luckily the majority are Kodak.

      Delete
    2. Ah, Kodachrome - it even had a song written for it!

      Delete
  5. Port fairy is indeed a beautiful spot. An impressive catch of fish. The first photo is certainly strange with the distance between the couple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't help but think that something's going on here (in that first photo): they are incredibly thin, aren't they? And they're very uncomfortable with the situation. Odd: he's shirtless, high-water pants; she's got sweater and pearls. Amazing. I'm with Alex -- there's a story here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fish stories certainly come in different flavors. And not always about the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, a story with the first photo. I hope they cooked that fish up immediately after the photo shoot and ate it. They look like they need a good meal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading all the other comments, and agree with everyone...but I do think the story should be written, and names given to the couple who probably were on the "outs" about the fish, therefore were being coerced to hold it for the person with the camera...let's say Jill and Jack? Cameraman might have been his father, Jake, and so on...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely something fishy about that first photo, apart from the obvious. Speaking of the GSV, are you still doing duty there? Haven't seen you the last couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re GSV, I was working, now we're in NSW caravanning, then I'm going to Europe to visit my son, then I'm working again. That takes me up to November!! Not much help am I.

      Delete
    2. Re GSV, I was working, now we're in NSW caravanning, then I'm going to Europe to visit my son, then I'm working again. That takes me up to November!! Not much help am I.

      Delete
    3. Re GSV, I was working, now we're in NSW caravanning, then I'm going to Europe to visit my son, then I'm working again. That takes me up to November!! Not much help am I.

      Delete
    4. No, not really, although you only needed to reply once! Only 2 of us there last week, and just me in the afternoon, but I better get used to it then.

      Delete
  11. That first photo really sparks the imagination. Unless the photographer just got lucky to snap the picture when the fish was still, I wonder if it was kicking up a fuss to make the couple stand so far apart.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thankyou for your interest.

Lorraine

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...